It’s that time of year again. The weather has turned cool. The air is crisp. Fallen leaves crunch (or squish if it’s rained) under foot. The scent of chimney smoke warms the heart. Autumn has always been my favorite season, and Thanksgiving one of my favorite holidays.
I try to live my life with an attitude of gratitude every day. Sometimes, I succeed. Other times, I fail. Thanksgiving is the perfect time to renew my efforts and take stock of a the things in my life for which I’m grateful. Here are ten things that come to mind at this moment:
- I met and married my soulmate this year. <3
- He’s not allergic to cats, so Mitzi gets to stay.
- My brother’s cancer is not currently growing. (When he was diagnosed, he said he most likely wouldn’t see 50. He celebrated his 50th birthday in August! 🙂
- I have awesome friends and family.
- I have a day job that allows me to have a roof over my head and food on my table.
- I think I’ve finally gotten rid of the mildew smell from the carpet in my office. Thank you, vinegar and baking soda!!
- I live in a state that rains — a lot!
- I have God’s love always!
- I finally found a church that I enjoy attending.
- I have a tentative release date for my debut novel, Fool’s Gold. (I’ll share the date as soon as it’s more definite, but think early next year.)
Life is an adventure, and no one promised it would be easy. There is good. There is bad. There are ups. And there are downs. In the middle of it all, let gratitude triumph over bitterness. I’m not sure who said this, but I saw the following quote on a Facebook meme:
“It doesn’t matter if the glass is half empty or half full. Be grateful that you have a glass, and there is something in it.”
Have a happy and blessed Thanksgiving!